Bull Put Credit Spread Strategy – How To Make Adjustments

Bull Put Credit Spread Strategy – How To Make Adjustments

Hey everyone. This is Kirk, here again at
where we show you how to make smarter trades. In today’s video tutorial, I want to talk
about how to adjust a put credit spread that you maybe in or as some other people call
it, a bullish put credit spread because you’re originally directionally bullish on the underlying
stock. After selling a put credit spread below the
market, let’s say that the underlying stock starts to selloff towards your position. This is the ultimate fear of most traders,
is that you enter this strategy, it’s a high probability of success and then the stock
starts to selloff which is really testing your position because you don’t make money
as the stock falls. The question becomes, “How should we hedge
or adjust this trade going forward?” For simplicity in our example today, let’s
just assume that you sold a $1 wide spread for about $.15 or $15 at the 15% probability
of being in the money level. This also is about a 15 Delta if your broker
platform doesn’t calculate probabilities. What we would do after making this trade,
we would first be triggered to make an adjustment when the short strike of our strategy reaches
a 30 Delta. We’re trading it originally at a 15 Delta,
so we’re basically saying that if the probability of losing on this trade doubles up to a 30
Delta, then what we’re going to do is we’re going to adjust this position and make some
sort of adjustment that reduces risk. Here’s exactly what we would do. We would take that original put credit spread
and we would sell a corresponding call credit spread on the other side of the market for
additional credit. This is a little bit different than what some
other companies and guys out there teach. Some other people teach that you want to roll
down this put credit spread side, but we don’t favor that. The reason that we don’t favor that is because
if you close out this position and rolled down, you’re first closing out a losing
trade and banking a loss 100%. Then you’re rolling the trade further down,
but who’s to say that the market can’t keep falling towards your position. What you end up doing is just creating a situation
where you could keep rolling down that put side and creating a compounding loss environment. What we always say is you add the corresponding
call credit side, make sure that you match up both the width of the strikes (in this
case, if you’re doing a $1 wide strike, you want to do a $1 wide call credit spread) and
the number of contracts that you’re trading for no additional risk and that’s really,
really important. Let’s actually go to our broker platform
here on Thinkorswim and let’s actually do one of these trades. Let’s say for example that you started off
doing this trade with a put credit spread below the market. What we’re doing here, this is DIA which
is the Dow Jones Industrial ETF and it currently closed today at about 176.40. If we were to add a put credit spread below
the market for March, it’s got about 56 days to go, we could do it at the 15 Delta
or 15% probability of being in the money level which right now is about 161. What we’re going to do is we’re going
to sell the 161/160 credit put spread and we’re going to take in about $.15 in credit. When the market opens, this pricing is a little
bit more towards the $.15. Because the market’s closed, it doesn’t
quite add up right now, but believe me, it is about $.15 when the market’s open. We’re going to take in about $.15 on this
trade. It’s a very high probability of success
trade where we’ve got about a 15% chance of losing on this trade. That means we’ve got about an 80% chance of
winning on this trade and this is reflected in the profit and loss diagram. You can see the stock is currently trading
right about here and with our profit and loss diagram, you can see that our breakeven point
is all the way out here towards 160. As the stock starts to fall, we only lose
money if it goes beyond that point. It’s a very high probability of success
trade, only about an 85% chance of winning, about a 15% chance that it does breach that
level and head lower. But who’s to say that it starts moving that
direction and you want to make an adjustment. Our trigger point is going to be the Delta
of this option which is currently about -13, but if we start to see that probability and
Delta get up closer to around 30, that means that our probability of losing has doubled
and we’re going to want to make an adjustment. What we always do when we add the other side
to this trade is we want to add the other side at the original probability that we had
set below the market. In this case, we’ll look to add the other
side at about a 15% probability of being in the money or about a 15 Delta as well. We’re trying to match this up and try to
take as even risk as we can on either side of the market. We don’t want to adjust this too close to
the market. We want to be a little bit slower with our
adjustments going forward. In this case, what we would do is we would
sell the 183/184 credit call spread above the market. You can see that takes in an additional $.12
in premium. We want to make sure that the width of our
strikes is exactly the same which is $1 and it is, and we want to make sure that we’re
doing the same number of contracts on both sides which is just a one lot spread. If we do this, you can see that this creates
a new iron condor position. Basically, what we’re doing is taking a
little bit of our profit potential up here above the market and we’re cutting that
off because the market is starting to challenge the bottom side of our trade. But as we did that and increased our credit
that we received, we reduced our max loss on this trade. We can no longer lose more money than our
original position. In fact, there’s no way we can lose more
money than our original position and it’s all because we took in an additional credit
on this trade. That’s exactly why we would continue to roll
down this call side closer and closer and closer as the stock continues to fall Remember,
with these put credit spread adjustments, you want to create a new iron condor position
and this helps both reduce overall loss and widen your breakeven points on the trade and
more importantly, when you match up the number of contracts and the width of the strikes,
you take no additional risk to make this adjustment which means that you’re only reducing risk
when the market is not moving favorably towards your position. As always, I hope you guys really enjoy these
videos. If you have any comments or questions, please
ask them right below in the lesson page. Until next time, happy trading!

Comments (8)

  1. Very good,I may try it if i ever get brave enough.Thank you.
    I'd like to ask you though wouldn't it be just as well or perhaps better to use an iron butterfly strategy thereby obtaining a larger premium? Thanks again.

  2. excellent explanation

  3. when should i just a put credit spread when looking at volatile markets

  4. this makes great sense… good job

  5. Kirk I'm a bit lost I thought you can only sell puts how can you buy a put call option and get a credit.????.?

  6. thank you, very good strategy

  7. Great video Kirk, appreciate it very much.
    Is there any margin impact on adding a credit spread at the untested side of the market? If so, is it worth to adjust i/o looking for another high prob trade?
    As the vertical spread is a defined risk trade we already accepted the loss at trade entry. So why not play out the probabilities?

  8. Do you roll up the iron condor if the price bounces back after placing the initial iron condor…

Comment here